Monday, November 24, 2014

Thanksgiving for Educators

In honor of Thanksgiving week, I thought I would take some time on this blog to thank many of the people who have shaped my educational journey.  Whatever I am as teacher, I owe to these people.  I feel certain I will forget some, so please charge that to my head and not my heart as it is 7AM on a Monday morning.

Mrs. Doane 1st grade) - Even though I was almost as tall as you were, I looked up to you because you showed me that you not only loved us, but loved teaching us.

Mr. Tom Dorrin (6th grade) - You taught me that I didn't have to take myself so seriously.  I know other people thought your teasing me was terrible, but I loved every minute it of it.

Mr. Jim Freeman (8th grade science and PE) - You taught me that you can be serious about important  things and silly about others.  My favorite memory of you was this conversation:
"Beth, you throw like a girl."
"But Mr. Freeman, I am a girl."
"Well, that's just something you're going to have to overcome, now isn't it."
I still can't throw, but my memory of this conversation teaches me that I don't have to use something as an excuse just because it is true.

Mr. Danny Watkins (7th and 8th grade history - homeroom for many years) - You taught me that if you teach what you love and show how much you love it, others will love it too.  As an adult, I stood in a museum with tears running down my face as I looked at the crown of Empress Alexandra because of what I learned from you.  You are the reason I look forward to convention every year.

Mr. Don Sandberg (9th grade science) - You taught me the power of curiosity (mostly by putting up with all of my questions).  You weren't afraid to treat a freshman like they were capable of deep thought.  As a result, I wanted to think more deeply just to impress you.  I now teach the same subject you taught me, and I think of you often.  Sometimes, I ask myself, "How would Mr. Sandberg teach this?"

Mr. Jim Barbara (physics)  - I teach with a photo of you hanging over my desk.  When I hear people say they don't like physics, I know it is because they didn't have someone like you for it.  You taught me that this very difficult subject was also really interesting and fun.  You made me look forward to last period every day.

Mrs. Catherine Klehm (college chemistry professor and science education adviser) - You taught me the structure of teaching, without which I would just be flying by the seat of my pants.  Thanks for teaching me how to evaluate textbooks, how to plan a lesson, and how to convey bigger issues than just the factual information.

Dr. Stephen M. King (college government professor and briefly my pastor) - You let me enroll in your class even though you weren't sure why a science education major was taking a higher level government class.  I think of you often (particularly when the Supreme Court issues any kind of opinion).

Mr. Stephen Matthews (my first principal) - I wouldn't have survived my first two years without your grace, humor, and humility.  No matter how badly I had blown it, you always had a story about a time when you had done the same thing.  You made me feel like I could always be a better teacher than I was.  I'm glad I didn't throw up on your shows at our interview because I couldn't have asked for a better first principal.

Mrs. Teresa Alsbrook (my first principal at GRACE) - Thanks for taking a chance on hiring me when you had no reason to (other than thinking I would be a good fit).

Mrs. Kathie Thompson (the elementary principal at GRACE) - Thank you for assigning the yearbook to me when I had no idea what I was doing.  My life changed that day in ways I would have never dreamed.  Thanks also for bringing me to camp every year and showing what love of children really looks like.

All my school friends (teachers, librarian, IT people, administrators, etc.)  - You inspire me every day with your energy, imagination, love, passion, and willingness to try new things.  Harry Wong said, "Great teachers aren't born.  They are made by the teacher next door."  To all of you, thanks for everything you have taught me about teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...