Saturday, June 13, 2015

World Blood Donor Day

My blog is usually about eduction, but Sunday June 14th is World Blood Donor Day.  This merits a rabbit trail of its own. 

When I talk about donating blood, I get a lot of reactions, from awe to horror, depending on the audience.  There are still a few people who think it is a way to make money.  Don't get me started on that one because I look down on that practice.  It is liking taking your coat to the Salvation Army and offering to sell it to them.  Don't sell what you should give.

My students ask a million questions because they don't understand the process or why it is needed.  I talk to them about it A LOT in the hope that they will remember and want to donate when they are old enough.  I also have a wall in my room decorated with pretty much everything the Red Cross has ever given me.  For this blog post, I will treat you as a student answer the questions that they usually ask me.

Why? - Because there are people who need blood.  According to the American Red Cross, there is a need for blood in the US every two seconds with the average transfusion requiring about 3 pints.  A single car accident may require up to 100 pints.

How often do you give?  I give as often as the Red Cross allows, which is every 56 days (8 weeks).  That amounts to six pints per year.

Why so often?  I have type O negative blood.  This is the only blood type that can donate to anyone.  If a person is in immediate need with no time to type their blood, they will be given O negative.  This means my blood type runs out faster than other types.  Since there is no such thing as artificial blood, it must come from people. 
  
What do they do?  You go in and read some stuff.  They take you in a room and take your blood pressure, pulse, and temperature.  You answer a bunch of questions to make sure you aren't at risk for AIDS or hepatitis or West Nile Virus.  They prick your finger to test your red blood cell count.  Assuming you are clear on all those things, you lie down on a bed.  They put a needle in your arm.  The needle is attached to a tube that leads to a bag.  You just lie there for a couple of minutes while gravity does its thing.  They put a bandage on your arm.  Then they let you eat cookies.  From start to finish, it takes less than an hour.  The actual blood giving part takes less than 10 minutes.

Does it hurt?  Only for a fraction of a second.  When the needle goes in, I wince a little.  That's it.  The finger prick is actually more painful than the needle, and it's just a quick jump.

Do you get sick or dizzy?  Rarely.  If I am well hydrated before giving, I often feel no different at all.  A few times, I have been extra tired for a day or a little dizzy if I stand up to fast.  I've never had any real problems from it.

How old do you have to be?  The Red Cross allows people to start donating at the age of 17 (or 16 if a parent is present).  I started giving at school when I was 17 because I wandered by the gym when they were having a drive.  The early you start giving, the more likely you are to stick with it.  However, it is never too late to start.

Do you give at blood drives?  I have, but I prefer donating at the permanent Red Cross location.  They know me and my mom.  They even commented that we were there earlier than usual when we went last week.  I have found also that they are more likely to work with me at the permanent location if my vein rolls or is hard to find than they have been at blood drives.

Since beginning at age 17, I have given 96 pints of blood with only a few interruptions due to international travel and college student eating habits.  I am on track to reach 101 pints by my 40th birthday.  The need is highest during summer and holiday times because of increased traffic accidents during these times, but these are also times when donations are lowest.  If you are eligible, let me encourage you to give one pint this summer.  If you try it once, you will find that it is easier than you thought and might be encouraged to do it regularly.  Only 10% of the eligible population donates.  I once read that if that were raised to 11%, there would never be a shortage.  You can make that happen if you donate, take a friend with, and encourage others to donate.  I'm going to make it even easier for you.  Click here to schedule your appointment.

If you have questions I haven't addressed, you can read Blood Facts and Statistics from the Red Cross, which provides a lot more detail than I have here.  

One other thing - There are other collection organizations besides the Red Cross (the Red Cross is responsible for 40% of donations in the United States).  I have never donated at any of the other places, so I can't speak to the donor experience in them.  I do know people who have given directly to Rex Hospital and have had positive experiences with that.  It's not important where you give.  Just give.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Role in Their Anxiety

Look at any psychological study, and you will find that we have been in a pandemic for a while.  No.  Not that one.  We are in an anxiety pa...