Thursday, March 24, 2016

Study Hall 2 Hours Before Break

On its best day, a middle school study hall isn't the most productive place on earth.  There's a little work done on some days and more on others, but I can't pretend that there is ever a day when everyone is taking advantage of their time.

Today is the day before Easter Break.  It is 1:45, and we get out at 3:15.  We don't assign work over the break, so absolutely no one has anything that is actually school related to do.  A group of boys is sitting in my room playing a game called CurvyTron.  It is amazing what people will come up with when they have nothing else to do.  I can't claim to be much better because what I have chosen to do is write this blog post and watch the bald eagle webcam from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

While this seems like a silly thing, I love that my guys do actually have the initiative to find something to do and share it with each other.  They could sit here planning trouble or throwing pencils at the ceiling.  Instead, they are sharing an experience without relying on me to provide it for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...