Monday, May 29, 2017

My Favorite Sound

Graduation was Friday night.  I've had many posts about graduation over the past few years.  This one is a little harder to describe, so I need this recording to help.  This is my favorite sound.



I don't know if you can hear it well, but it isn't Pomp and Circumstance.  It is not a song or the speaker.  It is not the exit music.  This is the sound of excitement.  I took this recording a few minutes after graduation.  Every year, after I remove my robe, I stand on the balcony above our graduation reception and listen to this sound for a few minutes.  It makes me happy to listen to it.

You'll notice that you cannot hear words.  You cannot actually discern what conversations anyone is having.  You just hear upbeat, happy, excited voices.

If you are a teacher, find this kind of sound.  Yours may not be at graduation.  It may be the first day of school or a time during Grandparents' Day or an awards night or during a Christmas party; but you should find a time like this in which you can step away, stand off to the side, and just listen to the sound of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...