Monday, August 7, 2017

Backwards Planning

Our school has summer assignments for teachers.  We read a couple of professional development books and do discussion boards.  This year, we watched Oscar worthy safety videos (don't touch blood or stand on unstable surfaces, that sort of thing) and do an activity called "Backwards Planning."  This is the one thing I have not yet completed.  I've thought a lot about it, but I just haven't gotten in down on paper yet.

I casually said to a few people last week, "Isn't that what all teachers do anyway?  It only makes sense to figure out what you want to do and then figure out how to get there."  Those people looked at me like it was cute that I thought that.  Apparently, some teachers just start teaching and see where it goes; I didn't know that.

Whether by training or personality, I have always been that way.  The yearbook really couldn't happen if I didn't think that way.  You have to see an end and then take the photos or gather the materials it takes to get that result.  Our professional development coach tells me that I can do my assignment as a blog post, so here goes.

As a means of learning about rotational motion, I have my students design and 3D print spinning tops.  We then hold a contest to see who can spin the longest time.  The first time I did this was last year and, while it was fun, I'm not sure how much physics they learned from it.  When it comes down to it, I think I presented things in the wrong order.  They started designing before learning the concepts behind rotation, so they just did it based on other tops they had seen.  To make that better, I'd like to make some adjustments for this year.  The questions we were asked to address in our planning are answered below.

1) What are the desired outcomes?
Answer: Students should be able to explain the relationship between shape, mass, radius, etc. on angular momentum.

2) What evidence shows progress and mastery of the outcome?
Answer: The design of the top will be accompanied by a grid in which students describe the shape, mass, radius, etc. and explain their thinking from a physics standpoint.

3) What activities will effectively get students to the outcome?
Answer: Spend the first day going through the design thinking steps and research online. Spend the next few days designing and refining in the 3D print program and filling out the thinking grid.

4) What is your essential guiding question for the unit?
Answer: What factors influence the angular momentum of a rotating object?

5) Is there an opportunity to connect with another teacher/subject? How could you collaborate to bring your class experiences together?
Answer: While I do that with other challenges, I'm not sure it makes sense here. That said, if our math teachers can think of a way to join in, I'm thrilled to do it.

6) What is the Biblical Integration?
Answer: The creation mandate instructs mankind to subdue the earth. All technology is part of that mandate as we take advantage of the laws of physics and materials from creation to create culture and helpful devices.


7) Add technology last. Where is it appropriate? Where does it provide differentiation?
Answer: We add technology last to make sure we aren't just doing tech for tech's sake. This particular activity benefits from the 3D printer. Although, if a student told me they wanted to carve a top from wood or mold metal rather than design in the 3D design program, I would be thrilled with that - built in differentiation. Their designs also provide differentiation as there is more than one way to be right.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...