Sunday, March 11, 2018

It Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time

I was walking down the hall when a student pulled out a piece of paper.  I wasn't trying to read over his shoulder, but I couldn't avoid seeing the paper.  I do not know what it said.  All I saw was that it was in the form of a letter and had about fifteen signatures at the bottom.  I said to him, "that looks petition-like to me."  He said that he guessed it kind of was.  I said, "Just so you know, petitions aren't usually accepted well by anyone, except maybe the government."  At that point, someone joined us, and I was never able to finish talking to him.  However, I have a similar conversation with a student about once a year. 

I used to teach in Oklahoma.  Because of that I still have a number of teacher friends there.  You may have seen on the news that their teachers' union has recommended a walkout, starting April 2.  I keep getting invited to the facebook page.  Since I don't believe in strikes and have refused to join the union in both states I taught public school in, they don't really want me to join this group. 

After the Parkland shooting a month ago, students in various districts have planned walkouts in an effort to get the attention of lawmakers concerning gun laws.  It is unlikely that this would change the vote of any lawmaker, but they make the news because students walking out of class to march in the streets is good TV.

The problem with all of these methods is that they put the recipient on the defensive.  In the conversations I have had with students about various petitions over the years, the conversation has always gone something like, "when they see how many of us agree, they have to give in."  Setting aside the language of "they have to" for the larger point, I try to get them to see why that doesn't work.  Put yourself in the position of the person receiving this letter.  No matter how respectfully it is written or presented, the moment someone opens a letter and sees multiple signatures, they feel ganged up on.  The brain perceives this as threatening and responds with the fight or flight instinct.  You have automatically turned off the rational and listening parts of their brain as it is flooded with adrenaline, undermining your ability to get what you want.  You accomplish the opposite of what you were trying to do. 

The same is true of the teacher and student walkouts and all strikes in general.  At the time, it seems like a good way to get the attention of the powers that be.  Again, I say imagine you are one of them.  When management sees you walk off your job to make a point, the danger part of their brain goes into high gear, imagining angry mobs with torches and pitchforks.  It doesn't "get their attention" in the way you hope.  The attention turns to self-protective measures, which involve digging in their heels, not meeting you even half-way.

I am not criticizing the students who make these petitions because I know that it seems like a good idea to them at the time.  I know that it is far less scary than sitting down with people above them and having a conversation one on one, and it doesn't seem disrespectful.  I am not criticizing those teachers who have been brought to this point.  I have read the posts of so many of them that feel this is the only action they have left.  I disagree with them, but I don't believe any of them are ill-intended.  That doesn't mean it is going to work.

Getting a lot of signatures seems good at the time because our signature is hidden among the others, so we feel secure in the number.  Walking out feels good in the moment.  The rush of dopamine we get makes us feel a power we do not actually possess, especially when there are others with us.  When we get tv coverage of our protest, it makes us feel like we have the world on our side until we go online and find that half of the people are not.  Those feelings of the moment are as temporary as the "love" people find on The Bachelor.  It feels real in the moment, but we must think beyond the moment.

Actual change requires people to make decisions using the rational parts of their brains.  That requires calm discourse, the ability to listen to facts and persuasive arguments, and the time to take substantive action.  Next time, something seems like a good idea, pause for a moment of empathy.  Imagine you were on the opposite side.  How would you receive the action you are about to take?  Chances are you would wish people would approach you individually, calmly, and rationally.  Try that first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...