Monday, May 27, 2019

Best and Worst Year Ever

It was the best of school years.  It was the worst of school years.
- Not so much Charles Dickens

If you have read this blog at all during this school year, you know that my school has weathered a lot.  We began the year with a student in intensive care, lost several teachers to family emergencies, and lost a dear middle school student, among many other things.  In many ways, this year could not have been worse.  As we cross the finish line this year, we are exhausted.  

But God knows you need some things to be going well, so in some ways, it has been the best year I've had in a long time.  My classes were more fun to teach this year than they have been in a while.  In particular, my first-period and second-period physics classes came with an energy and enthusiasm that I haven't seen in a while, which is a great way to start the day.  My eighth-grade classes this year were filled with delightful young men and women who were a joy to teach and shared their appreciation for all of their teachers generously (as did their wonderful parents).  I could not have asked for the experience of teaching in my classroom this year to be more wonderful.

I also grew professionally this year in many great ways.  I was able to attend the Learning and the Brain Conference in November, and because of it, find many new resources for professional learning.  I took the notes from one of the seminars I attended there and presented to our faculty, and I will get to do that with another seminar in August.  I had the blessing of speaking at our annual Celebrate GRACE fundraising dinner, representing our staff on the subject of being "All In." 

Even the terrible things we have been through this year have yielded blessings.  The loving community of GRACE Christian School is never more evident than when a member of the family is in crisis.  This year, that community grew beyond the walls of the school.  We received outpourings of love from other Christian schools and churches; even the local Chic-Fil-A sent flowers.  Those faculty members that had to leave mid-year haven't left the family.  They have come to visit and shared graduation with their students.  I have some of the best colleagues in the world, and we have spent much time laughing together, crying together, and writing notes of support to one another.  The stresses of the year have brought us closer.

Thankfully, I have been teaching long enough to know that bad years happen, but they don't mean bad careers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Just What We Call It

Did you know that there is a definition for a properly maintained yard?  According to the American Garden Club,  an appropriate type of lawn...