Sunday, April 30, 2023

One Student - Many Influences

This weekend, GRACE held our annual senior dinner.  I'm pretty sure I write about it every year, and I may share the same insight each time.  That is because each year, I am grateful that students have more than one teacher in their lives.

At our senior dinner, each student is spoken about by a teacher who signed up specifically for them.  Because we are limited to 200 words, each speech must cut to the heart of the matter, reflecting the character of each student.  While I love giving my own speeches, what always impresses me are the speeches of other teachers about students that I teach as well.  I get to hear stories about them that make me smile and some that reinforce what I already know.  But, the ones that always strike me are the ones that tell me something I didn't know about that child.  A student who is driving me crazy has a teacher who sees perseverance in them.  A student that I may view as a clique leader is seen by another teacher as a loyal friend.  The same may also be true in the reverse.  I may find a student delightful that another teacher would have described as foolish.

This night always reminds me why it is so good that students have more than one teacher in their lives.  Back in the days of the one-room schoolhouse, when students had the same teacher from kindergarten through high school, they only learned one philosophy of the world, one view of education, and only had one voice recognizing who they were.  While there is much that is flawed in our current system, I maintain that it is good for students to have as many as 45 teachers in their K-12 school experience.  That's 45 voices speaking into their lives about who they are and what their potential is.  While some of those teachers will not see the promise of that student's life, others will.  While that child may not respond well to the teaching style of one teacher, another teacher will spark a love of math or reading or art or history that will last a lifetime.  

A student doesn't have to experience education in one way.  Some teachers allow students unlimited retakes, instilling a sense of grace in a student that may inspire them to do more with that second chance.  Other teachers are strict about deadlines, teaching students the importance of following through on commitments.  A student needs both of those lessons, and they cannot get them both from the same teacher.  Some teachers are focused on making learning fun; others teach students that something doesn't have to be fun to be valuable.  These are both great things for students to experience.  We sometimes sacrifice common sense on the altar of consistency, but students need to see that adults can have a variety of philosophies and still respect and love each other (because they are, for sure, not seeing that on social media).  As we approach teacher appreciation week, appreciate that teacher that challenges your student in a way others have not or makes them see things differently than other teachers have.  Honor the teacher that makes your student uncomfortable because they have to change the way they think.  

A few years ago at a Learning and the Brain conference, Dr. David Daniel delivered a keynote in which he talked about the art of applying the science of learning to our classrooms.  He said, "Don't run from complexity.  Honor it."  

Teaching students how to adapt to people with different views honors the complexity of education, the complexity of students, and the complexity of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Role in Their Anxiety

Look at any psychological study, and you will find that we have been in a pandemic for a while.  No.  Not that one.  We are in an anxiety pa...