Sunday, August 13, 2023

Viewing Angle Revisited

I have had a fun experience every day this week.  Our new earth science teacher is across the hall from me.  As we have prepared for the start of the year, she has naturally had a number of questions.  

  • Is it okay if I hang this in my room?  
    • Yes, of course.  
  • Am I allowed to put this in my policies?  
    • Sure, if that'll work for your classroom.
  • I went to IT to ask if they had any iPads left from the hybrid year.  
    • They said they didn't have extras, but they would order me one.  They wanted me to have what I needed.
  • How do I go about requesting more . . .?
    • They are in the supply cabinet in the teachers' lounge.  You can just pick them up the next time you are there.
It would be difficult to describe the look on her face with the answers to each of these questions.  There is a disbelief that her professional judgment would be trusted in most cases.  I have loved watching her react to this because it reminds me that this is not normal.

I have been at GRACE for 20 years, and it is easy to lose sight of the limitations other teachers have to deal with, even slip into a sense of entitlement.  Having someone whose viewing angle is different allows me to see it differently.  It reminds me to have gratitude.  

I'm not saying GRACE is perfect.  Frustrations will come throughout the year because we are a building full of sinners, like everyone else.  But in those times, it will be helpful to revisit these experiences and remember that I also have it pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Role in Their Anxiety

Look at any psychological study, and you will find that we have been in a pandemic for a while.  No.  Not that one.  We are in an anxiety pa...