Monday, August 31, 2015

The Power of Silence

I have a magical super power that makes kids fall into hushed silence.  It isn't a special hand signal.  It isn't a sound.  It isn't a flashing sign.  It is MY silence.

Kids are used to being lectured, yelled at, told what to do, when to do it, and how to do it.  They are used to music being pumped into their ears 24 hours a day.  They are used to beeping, buzzing, and ringing.  What they are not used to is the sound of silence (I wish I could input Simon and Garfunkel here).

When my students get out of hand while I'm in the middle of a lesson, I stop speaking.  I stare at the ceiling, and I wait.  If you know me, you know that silence isn't exactly a strength of mine, but it doesn't take long.  It takes 30s or so for the first student to realize I have stopped speaking; then he usually spreads the word that everyone should shut up.  The whole process usually takes less than a minute.  It takes much less energy and is much more effective than fussing.  They don't care if a teacher fusses because, in their minds, teachers fuss all the time.

The one I keep in my back pocket for the most extreme times is keeping silent for the remainder of the period.  This usually happens when we have played a review game.  I certainly don't expect the same level of decorum for a game that I do for other times, but it is only useful review if people are paying attention.  I usually give them a few chances (because it is a game, after all).  Then I say, "That's it.  I'm done."  I sit down and don't speak for the rest of the period (which is usually only 10 minutes or so if I get to this point).  It freaks them out.  They don't know what to do if a teacher doesn't talk for ten minutes.  In those times, you could hear a pin drop on the carpet.  Beware: Using  this technique too often will make it stop working.  It is the novelty of it that makes this work.

Right now, I'm sitting in a completely silent room.  It is my study hall.  It consists mainly of 8th graders and a couple of seventh graders.  Because they all have the same classes, I usually let them work together.  We are a school that places high value on collaboration and cooperation.  However, as with any study hall, it can be dangerous to let them talk.  My policy is clear.  There is one warning for the volume being too loud or lack of productive talk.  After that, you go back to your assigned seat and remain silent for the rest of the period.  If this happens in the next class period, you will remain silent for not only the remainder of that period but for the next day's study hall as well.  That's the step we are on now, which means I will have to suffer the sound of a silent classroom for the entire period on Thursday.  I don't enjoy this, but it is amazingly helpful.  Last year, we never escalated beyond this point because NO ONE wanted silence for three class periods.  This class is a smart bunch, so I'm sure they'll do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...