Monday, June 5, 2017

A Laughing Community

GRACE Christian School is a loving community that spiritually and academically equips, challenges, and inspires students to impact their world for Christ.  That's my school's mission statement.

I've recently come to the realization that of all the evidence that we are a loving community (praying for each other, taking care of each other's needs, making food for each other), the most obvious is the sound of laughter throughout our building.

Students make me laugh every day.  They are witty and often sarcastic (an art I respect when done well).  I have an 8th grader who tells me every time it rains for some reason I don't understand, but it amuses me.  I have a student who I attempt to make laugh, and it is very satisfying on the rare occasions that I am successful.

Come to our teacher's lounge during lunch or the hallway after school or even to our faculty meetings, and you will hear a lot of laughter.  As we share stories of the day or make our own silly observations, we amuse each other a lot.  Some of our teachers prank each other; others have Nerf gun battles across the hall.  Our Head of School is hysterical, and our principles share in the fun as well.  They even give us "paper plate awards" at the end of the year based on some funny story that has happened during the year.  Brainstorming those is the best department chair meeting of the year.

Teaching is an intense job that takes a lot of energy.  It is important that you enjoy your students and your co-workers.  It is also important for your students to see you enjoying your job.  When I was in middle school, I was concerned that adulthood meant hating your job because so many adults I knew did.  When our students see that we enjoy our jobs, they feel more secure about the future.  They also see teachers as human beings, which can only aid in classroom management.  It also gives them a reason to think of teaching as a career option for themselves.

These are all important outcomes; so if your school isn't as fun as mine, find a few friends that you can enjoy and spend more time with them in a place where students can see you.  You need a laughing community; so if you don't have one, make one.  If you do have one, recognize what a blessing that is.  Thank God, and thank each other.

1 comment:

  1. Laughing with my colleagues is one of the biggest thing I miss about no longer being at GRACE!

    ReplyDelete

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...