Monday, June 11, 2018

Teacher Bonuses

Yesterday, I attended the wedding of a former student.  As I looked around the reception and saw many of my colleagues, it occurred to me that there are honors bestowed on teachers people in other professions don't get to enjoy.  In the middle of the social media noise regarding teacher pay, the recent walkouts, and how much work we do, I'd like everyone to pause for a moment and think about the intangible bonuses all teachers get.

Graduations - We'll start with one so obvious that we don't even notice the honor because it is taken for granted - even viewed as part of the job.  We attend the graduations of our students.  Many schools have such limited space that each student is issued tickets for their family and friends to attend graduation.  Because of those limitations, there may be very important people in the life of a student that don't make the cut.  Yet, every teacher has the joy of participating in the ceremony (and usually with a very good seat).  While this is a privilege we will likely always have, we should recognize the blessing that it is and be grateful that we can participate in this ceremony.

Games and Plays - When a student asks you to attend a play, game, or event in which they are participating, it is easy to view it as another task.  What it means, however, is that the student cares enough about you to want you there.  If they have had the courage to ask you to come, they put themselves in a vulnerable position to be rejected.  I know we can't go to everything.  There are simply too many events, but you should go to as many things as possible, ESPECIALLY if they have asked.  It means the world to them, and their request is a real compliment reflecting the importance of your relationship with them.

Recommendations - In 19 years of teaching high school, I have written hundreds of recommendation letters.  Some were simple forms for camp counselor positions or character references; but of course, most were college recommendations.  If a student has been properly counseled, this request has been carefully made.  Although there are a few students with a lack of self-awareness, most students have thought through their choice very carefully and asked those who they respect, believe colleges will find credible, and have a strong enough relationship with to get a meaningful recommendation.  I remember feeling very nervous when I approached my teachers as a high school student because it was taking a step of faith that the teacher would feel the same way about me that I did about them and just hoping they would say yes.  When a student asks me to write one for them, I try to remember how frightening that was and remember what an honor it actually is.  I have had to say no, but I've only had to say it twice, and I did try to soften the rejection by offering an alternative teacher for them. 

I enjoy writing recommendation letters.  The act of reflecting on the growth of my students and our relationship, focusing on their positive attributes and thinking of examples to demonstrate them, is a lovely experience.  It reminds me of why I do what I do and what it means. 

Weddings - It's hard to describe what it means to be invited to a student's wedding.  On this day, they want to be surrounded by the people who have been a positive influence on their lives.  To be counted among that number is truly an honor.  Yesterday, I watched the newly married couple move from table to table, introducing their guests to their new spouse.  Hannah's husband was able to meet so many of the people who guided Hannah as she became the woman he married, from her kindergarten teacher to her high school principal.  None of us would have traded that moment for all the money in the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...