Saturday, July 14, 2018

A Life of Positivity

I just came home from a funeral that lasted two hours.  I've never been to a funeral that lasted that long, but Ronald Butler was a man who had accomplished much and been loved by many in his 84 years.  A person from each stage of his life spoke, and they had many stories to share.  (Plus, three of those sharing were preachers and one an educator, so there's that to consider.)  The common theme from every speaker was that this was a man who was positive and energetic about all activities with all people from the time he was a child growing up with little to his last years of suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

I'm sure everyone in the room could have shared their own story, and I have one as well.

When I was thirteen, I was concerned about my approaching adulthood.   Don't get me wrong; it wasn't that I didn't want to grow up.  It was simply that every adult I knew talked about their work negatively.  They dreaded Mondays, lived for the weekend, needed vacations, and watched the clock.  Considering that the average adult spends 5 days out of 7 at work, I was not looking forward to the idea that I would dread over 70% of my life.

I decided to take a little survey.  I was in the church choir, so one night at rehearsal, I stood near the door.  As people came in, I asked them to tell me what came into their mind when I said "job" or "work."  Most people sighed, moaned, or grunted something discouraging.  This was a Sunday afternoon, and it seemed no one was looking forward to Monday morning.  When Ronald came in, I asked him the same question.  He smiled brightly and said, "I love my work.  It's great to . . ." and proceeded to expound and the people he worked with and the pride he felt in doing something important and how much he enjoyed interacting with students and faculty and administration (He was working in a college at this point, but he had also taught high school).

He may have been the only person to answer this way, but he made me know it was possible to do work that you enjoyed.  He didn't dread Monday morning; he loved it.  He didn't live for the weekend; he lived each day doing what God had for him that day.  I resolved then and there to find work that mattered to me and that I enjoyed doing.  That conversation made a big difference in my life, and I appreciate Ronald Butler for giving it to me.

Since this blog is about education, let me give teachers this one piece of advice.  Kids are looking to you for input about what adult life and work life means.  Speak negatively, and you will contribute to their fear.  Speak positively, and you will contribute to their hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...