Sunday, September 30, 2018

When Parents Meet with Teachers

Last week my school held parent-teacher conferences.  A student that I thoroughly enjoy left the room the day before, saying, "I'm nervous about what you might say to my parents."  This is a delightful young lady who daily brings joy to her teachers, and she is worried that we might report something negative to her parents.  This interaction made me think of a few things.

It took me way back to my first year.  There was a student who I had, in fact, had a major argument with.  It had been about a month since the argument, and I had forgotten about it.  We had a rather good relationship.  The day before conferences, she begged me not to tell her mom about the "fight."  It actually took me a minute to remember what he was talking about, but it was so vivid in her mind that she thought it might be the topic of my conference with her mom.  It was a good opportunity to talk about how things like that don't have to define a relationship.  There was so much water under our bridge that I wouldn't have even thought to bring it up to her mom.

Then, I had to wonder if other students were worried.  If this delightful girl was nervous, what do the actual trouble-makers think?  Is the child in your class who actually is a chronic disruption worry that you will tell his parents that?  I don't know.

One the days of the actual conferences, there was a wide variety to the conversations.  Some brought the student with them.  Some just wanted to tell the teacher about their child's history.  Some just want to meet the teacher they hear about at home.  Most are parents who are just looking for ways they can help their child study or be more socially successful. 

If you are a student, please know that these meetings are not gossip sessions.  You are welcome in them because we aren't saying anything behind your back that we wouldn't say to you.  We aren't looking for things that are wrong with you.  We are ON YOUR TEAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...