Sunday, July 14, 2019

Teacher Oath

The Hippocratic Oath is a widely known set of standards that nearly all medical students recite at some point in their process of becoming a doctor, usually when graduating from medical school.  While they are not legally bound by it (you can't sue your doctor for violating it) and it has changed over the years (the original specifically prohibits abortion), it is generally upheld as the standard for medical ethics.

Here it is in its modern form.
I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:
I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.
I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.
I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.
I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.
I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.
I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems if I am to care adequately for the sick.
I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.
I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.
If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

Side note:  I think it is interesting that the words, "First, do no harm" do not appear in it as TV shows make it seems like it starts with that line.

It seems to me that in a job as important as teaching, we should also have a guiding set of principles.  There should be a shared set of promises we make to ourselves, our students, and their parents.  As I have thought about this, I have to ask myself, what qualities are so important and so universal that we could all agree to abide by them.  Here's what I'm certain is only a partial list.  It surprises me how easy it is to make parallels to the Hippocratic Oath.

- I will seek out research about the best practices of my profession, share them with other educators, and strive to implement them for the good of all students.
- I will use as many teaching strategies as are required to provide an understanding of content but will not fall into the trap of confusing kids with too many strategies where one is sufficient.
- I will remember that the best classroom management is a positive classroom environment, which is established by building relationships which outweigh any negative consequence.
- I will not be ashamed to say, "I do not know" when a student's question exceeds my knowledge, nor will I fail to help that student seek an answer.
- I will remember that I do not teach a report card or test score, recognizing that my student is a whole person and not just a receptacle for my content.
- I will do what is, in my professional judgment, best for my student - even when it is not comfortable or their preference.

I am sure there is much to be added to this list.  These are just the things I could think of while sitting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...