Sunday, September 26, 2021

What You Would Do Anyway

When I walk, I listen to podcasts.  Today, I was listening to Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend, when he said, "The best thing in life is when you are doing what you would do with your friends for fun, and then someone gives you a check for it."  There are aspects of any job that won't thrill you - paperwork, scheduling (unless you are Mandy Gill and scheduling is your happy place), and meetings - but hopefully, there are at least some parts of your job that are things you would want to do anyway.  As I was walking, I thought of two things.

Explaining things - I am the daughter of an engineer.  If you ask him what time it is, chances are that he will explain to you the history of the invention of the watch.  So, my compulsion to explain things is hereditary.  Even as a child, I was always explaining anything I knew to anyone who would sit still.  My high school friend, Rebecca, and I spent much of our freshman year discussing theological controversies or science or whatever else was floating around.  What appealed to me about physics was knowing how everyday things worked.  I loved knowing how a microphone worked or why ice skaters spun faster when they pulled their arms in.  I went into teaching physics because I wanted other people to enjoy having that knowledge too.  There was one year of my adult life that I didn't teach.  I worked at Wachovia Mortgage while I was between schools.  I annoyed the mess out of some of my co-workers because I would answer questions they had absentmindedly asked but apparently didn't want the answer to.   Even during the summer, I'll catch myself explaining something to someone and say, "Sorry, I haven't taught anything in a couple of months."  Fortunately, there is a career that can support my compulsion.

Writing recommendation letters - I am the job reference for a lot of people.  I love thinking about the positive aspects of a person and telling other people about them.  Teaching high school frequently provides that opportunity because we fill out surveys, nominate kids for awards, and write college and scholarship recommendation letters.  This week, I got to write one for one of my favorite students (yes, we do have them).  They don't want you to say, "She's really smart" or "He works hard in class."  They can tell that from the transcript.  What they want are examples of the student's character.  That's what I love about writing them.  I got to think back over the five-year relationship I have with this girl and share about her enthusiasm for learning as evidenced by an experience we had at the Air and Space Museum.  I got to tell them about her heart for service as shown by how far above and beyond she has gone in tutoring other students.  I got to tell them how many ways I had observed her leadership as I have had her in class but have also seen her leading on the basketball team and in student council.  When she asked me to write this letter, she didn't realize how thrilled I was to write it because I would have wanted to talk about her anyway.  

Whatever job you have, look for something in it that you would happily do anyway.  Then, be grateful you getting paid for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...