Sunday, June 18, 2023

Care Deeply About Learning

During the first week of school, I often share this gem from Simon Sinek.  "Working hard for something we don't care about is called stress: Working hard for something we love is called passion."

Teachers have to be careful when we share quotes like these because what Simon means and what I intend in sharing it is not always what gets communicated.  Some students will read this as an exhortation to only take classes that already interest them, free from the burden to challenge themselves with anything new.  After all, they have been led to believe that any negative feeling is to be avoided and prevented whenever possible, so stress is considered evil.

I don't know how much you may know about the work of Simon Sinek, but I can assure you that he is not Marie Kondo-ing his way through life, only doing things that "spark joy."  With books to his name like Leaders Eat Last and The Infinite Game, he shares some challenging truths in an optimistic way, encouraging people to find "Their Why."  But he isn't bouncing around advising people to follow their bliss.  He works with CEOs, government officials, and Marines, for heaven's sake. 

What I think Sinek is advocating here is the reason I share it with my students.  We should care deeply about more things.  He talks a lot about putting your phone down and having real conversations with your co-workers.  This will cause you to care more about them.  He describes how the cumulative effect of small consistent acts of care will make you a leader in ways that a weekend retreat will not.  To do that, you can't be faking your love for your people; if you are faking it, you won't be able to keep it up over time.

I was engaged in an email conversation with a colleague this week.  In it, she said, "I’m trying to figure out how to get students to find joy in being curious!"  My reply to her was that finding the joy in being curious was practically my life's motto.  I've always wanted to know what causes any phenomena and have been up for solving a puzzle or untangling a knot.  My recent exploration of classes at the YMCA has given me fresh opportunities to learn new things.  I simply cannot imagine walking around the world without being interested in the things that happen in it.  It's why I love game shows, and it's why I listen to podcasts like Stuff You Should Know and The TED Radio Hour.  So, my entire career has been about modeling this curiosity to students.  

It doesn't have to be about science.  If a student expresses the slightest interest in trying something new, I will push them in that direction.  It was how I recruited students for the yearbook.  I try hard to get students not to take study halls because there are such interesting electives in our school.  I tell them how much I regret that I gave up an opportunity to take art with one of the best art teachers in NC because I was intimidated that he was one of the best art teachers in NC.  I talk about the Human Anatomy class I took in college, in which I cried EVERY SINGLE week but that I look back on as one of my most valuable classes.  Recently, my friend and I were talking about trying new things, and she said, "You just become a more interesting person, don't know?  It gives you new things to talk about with people."

I'm not saying everyone has to be endlessly fascinated by everything, but life should be about expanding the things that interest us, not about limiting them.  Don't become the kind of person who loves one thing and only wants to do that all the time while dismissing everything else.  Be the kind of person who cares deeply about more things, and you will have less stress and more passion in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Role in Their Anxiety

Look at any psychological study, and you will find that we have been in a pandemic for a while.  No.  Not that one.  We are in an anxiety pa...