Sunday, June 30, 2024

Can vs. Should

This is America.  In spite of the assertions of some extreme right and left people, that means we are free to do a lot of things (I guess those people want to be free to do anything, but that's not how society works).  But just because we can do some things doesn't mean we should.  There should be something inside you that prevents you from doing and/or saying certain things.  That inhibiting factor might be religious regulations, ethnic culture, or how your parents raised you.  But if there is nothing in your heart that makes you pause and ask "Should I do this?" rather than "Can I do it?" it is not a sign that you were more free, just less ethical.

I'll give you an example.  In 2020, during the time of the public's reaction to the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer, most of the protests were peaceful, but there were some that wrongly turned to violent riots involving property damage and danger to human life.  There is much to be discussed and analyzed in the response of many during this time, but what I found disheartening was that some of the people I love responded with glee that they could turn their attention to the riots, distracting themselves from the need to respond to the racism that sparked it all.  A friend of mine posted a meme with a very famous photograph of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor with the caption, "Democrats would call this a mostly peaceful day in Hawaii." I responded that I thought it was wrong to use this photo as a joke. Her first response was to explain it to me as though I didn't get it and then to tell me she had free speech as an American.  The first amendment does protect her from legal backlash, but it shouldn't prevent her from personal reflection.  There should have been something inside of her that said, "Maybe it isn't a great idea to use a powerful photograph from a horrific event in which American servicemen died to mock people."  Just because you can doesn't mean you should.  Another friend shared clearly doctored photographs to mock people with whom he disagreed.  When people pointed out that the photos were obviously not real, he responded in angry ways that he was allowed to post whatever he wanted (true) and it was funny, so they should get over it.  So, in his mind, spreading lies is fine as long he gets to mock someone he hates. I've had the same disheartening feelings this week as I've watched fellow Christians gleefully mock Joe Biden's age after his dismal debate performance.  Christian friends, remind yourself that one of the fruits of the Spirit is self control.  We could be having a serious discussion about the merits of these two men and the policies each would have and the impact those policies would have on the world, but instead, we've chosen a less humane route simply because it is more entertaining. Can you do it?  Obviously yes.  Should you?  Obviously no.

Examples of this concept abound.  I am generally a capitalist because I do believe that market competition usually leads to better products (not always, things are more complicated than that).  I also know that we are people with sin natures and anyone, left completely unchecked, will have temptations to do wrong.   A lot of people will justify immoral practices if they are not explicitly against the rules.  Therefore, some reasonable regulations are necessary.  In a great example of self restraint, author Vern Poythress applies his morals over socially acceptable rules.  He could make a lot more money than he does, but he has decided to forgo copyright on his own work by making it freely available online. He believes knowledge should be free to all.  Something in him compels him to choose, not just what he could do, but what he believes is the right thing to do.

There's no way to write this post without quoting one of the greatest characters ever put on screen.  Dr. Ian Malcolm, the chaos theorist portrayed by Jeff Goldblum in Jurrasic Park, warned park creator John Hammond about the end results of recreating extinct predators, saying, "your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.”  We're seeing this all over as technology advances at an unprecedented rate.  We worship  convenience on the altar of entertainment, so we have loaded app after app on our phones without pausing to reflect on whether they are good for us.  When we finally recognize the negative impact, the devices are already too ingrained in society to undo it.  In a move even George Orwell didn't predict, we have voluntarily brought devices into our homes that listen to us at all times.  Should we?  We never bother to ask ourselves.  It's more convenient, so we don't care.  

We are doing the same thing with the rapid expansion of AI.  Science fiction writers have spent decades warning us about the potential impact of allowing machines to learn and think for themselves.  Rather than heed those warnings, we are saying, "I can do something a little faster than before?  Yep. Let's move forward with it as quickly as possible."  I'm not just talking about students using it to cheat (which they absolutely will - some of the AI apps are marketing themselves as "never get caught.").  I'm not just talking about adults using it to get out of the hard work of thinking for themselves (Be careful.  AI flat out makes things up that don't exist, and you won't know if you aren't prepared to do the work to find out.). I'm talking about art forgery, deep fake videos, and inaccurate patient care.  These things are already happening.  AI is going to make us all a little less human, and it is going to make some of us a lot less human.  One day, we will look around and wonder how we got here.  But every time I say this, the response is, "Well, it's not going anywhere, so we have to accept reality."  Do we?  Can't we take some control over our own lives?  It doesn't have to be this way, but we care more about convenience than reflection.  I'm not saying we should not progress technologically; I'm saying it is worth slowing down to ask some questions before we proceed without limits.  Sadly, I don't see that happening.

You can't control what is available, but you can control what you adopt in your own life.  I resisted owning a cell phone until I was 47 and a half years old.  I wouldn't have one now if I hadn't been changing jobs.  I am, however, limiting my use of it.  I refuse to install social media apps or games onto it because I've seen what that does to people.  I use it for my job, and I text and make calls, but I will not make it a source of entertainment or use it to pay for things.  Your line and mine don't have to be the same, but you should take some times to figure out what your values are rather than using everything just because you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I Wear It

This pendant is a small scale version of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's "dissent collar."  I bought it a few days after her death in 20...