Saturday, October 8, 2016

My Weirdness - Part 3 - No Interest in Girly-ness

In my house, there are two bottles of nail polish.  One of them is clear.  I'm not against fun colors of nail polish; I just don't care to spend the time.  The only hair appliance in my bathroom is a blow dryer.  I use it for about two minutes.  The last time I wore make up, it  was a different century.  I own one pink thing, and I wear it about one time per year (to Hoops for Hope).

I just don't care about the girly things that other girls seem to find so important.  I never have.  When I was a kid, my parents made me wait until I was 13 to wear makeup.  My mom took me to a Mary Kay rep, we invested in some good make up.  A couple of months later, I decided it felt slimy, and I didn't like it.  I decided to embrace my nerd and became "anti-cool."  If there was a cool store (at the time, that was The Limited), I wouldn't shop there.  Now, it is more a matter of time.  I can get out of bed and be out of the house in 20 minutes.  I just don't like investing time in things that don't last.  I'd rather be at school 30 minutes earlier than to spend 30 minutes straightening my hair.

I do not believe that everyone needs to live this way, but I like that my kids see that being a girl doesn't HAVE to mean being girly.  Then, they can decide for themselves whether or not they care about doing those things or if they have just been doing them because they think they have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...