Sunday, February 10, 2019

Yes, You're Busy - Do it Anyway

This weekend was an extremely busy one for me.  Friday night was dinner with family friends that I haven't seen in a month.  Tomorrow is a yearbook deadline, and that always means spending the day at school proofreading and editing.  That usually starts at 6AM and end whenever it ends, which could be 10-12 hours, depending on the deadline and how well the staff has worked.  I will be speaking in our faculty meeting on Monday, so I had to get the presentation together for that. 

Back in October, I was supposed to attend a seminar by Manny Scott with two other teachers.  He ended up postponing that October date to this weekend.  When he first rescheduled, it didn't occur to me that this would be a yearbook deadline weekend.  Had a realized it at the time, I would probably have asked for a refund or sought out someone else to take my ticket.  I usually protect deadline weekends at all costs. 

As it turns out, I'm glad I didn't realize it.  The seminar was excellent, and hearing Manny Scott's story was worth going to school after 12:30 rather than the first thing in the morning.  I'll probably post more about this seminar another time, but I'm going to keep this short because, as I mentioned earlier, I've had a lot to do this weekend.  I just want to say this.  Yes, you do need to rest sometimes; but we lose a lot of experiences in the name of "self-care."  When there's an opportunity to have an experience that doesn't come along often, stop telling yourself how busy and tired you are.  Have the experience.  You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...