Friday, November 29, 2019

Reflections on Student Engagement with John T Almarode


The Learning and the Brain conference is an overwhelming experience.  That’s not a complaint.  It’s the best professional development I’ve ever participated in.  It’s overwhelming in the way a magnificent artwork is overwhelming, just too much to take in.  It’s overwhelming in the way meeting a beloved public figure would be overwhelming, just wanting to remember every part of the moment but also knowing that you won’t.  I have attended this conference twice now, and I have come away both times with the same mixture of feelings.  First, I feel mostly affirmed that much of what I and my colleagues are doing is in line with how student's brains work.  Even though much of it has been developed through trial and error or intuition, we seem to have done a lot right.  Second, there are some changes we need to make to some of our practices.  Holding those two thoughts simultaneously weighs down my luggage on the trip home.

The only way I have found to deal with the sheer volume of information I get from this conference is to reflect on parts of it a little at a time while I figure out how I might like to apply them.  Since this blog is for me to reflect and process my thoughts and let you read them if you wish, I’ll be dealing with those here for a while. They might come out in weekly posts or I might post several over the course of a few days.  Who knows?  If you just want straightforward notes (with a few personal thoughts because that’s how I take notes), you can find them at these three posts (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).  These posts will be both more and less than the notes.  More because I will be working out my own thoughts but less because I will likely choose small parts to reflect upon.

The first one that I will tackle is the one I think might be easiest to implement.  It was a session on creating engagement in your classroom and how to design engaging tasks.  The session was given by John T. Almarode.  If I believed in spirit animals, I would want him to be mine.  He is a quirky, fun, sassy Southerner who so obviously loves his job that you can’t help but be drawn in, and what you are being drawn into is valuable, smart, research-based information that you enjoy learning.

This session could be broken down into these sections:


  1. Assessing the level of thinking students are at so that you can teach them one level above that.
  2. The characteristics of an engaging task
  3. Differentiation of lessons to provide equity to students

I am going to focus this post on that middle section because I think it is the one I can start implementing immediately.  The other two will require more time to make some design changes in my lessons.  I may blog about those as I deal with them as well, but here’s a good place to start.

According to John Almarode, there are 8 characteristics of engaging lessons.  This list was developed as the result of observations made in 20,000 classroom observations.  This is a credible sample size, and the methodology is strong.


  1. Clear and Modeled Expectations - Imagine the frustration you feel at a faculty meeting if you are given a task and told to get started, but you aren’t really clear yet on what you are supposed to do.  Now imagine that happening at least once a day.  A lot of the misbehavior in classrooms comes from student frustration with not being sure what they are supposed to be doing.  If you want an engaged classroom, you have to be clear about what they should do. Be clear about what the target looks like.  
  2. Emotional Safety - Your classroom must be a safe place to learn.  Students must not be allowed to laugh at someone giving a wrong answer or make fun of them.  That is not, however, the only component to emotional safety in your classroom.  It also means having the means to recover after having made a mistake.  Is there a way to get feedback, revise their work, and do better?  (Don’t get crazy, y’all.  I’m not talking about retaking summative assessments. I’m talking about daily tasks and work-in-progress check on projects.)
  3. Personal Response - Students, if you haven’t noticed, care a lot about their own opinions.  That’s not unusual.  We did and do too.  Can students bring their own perspective into a task?  If so, they will be more likely to be engaged in it.
  4. Sense of Audience - Have you ever had a job where you had to look busy?  It’s more exhausting than actually being busy.  I had a job once where I got done with the daily tasks by about 3pm, so if the phone wasn’t ringing much, I had little to do for the remaining two hours.  If my boss saw that, he would give me “busy work.”  Making a graph out of data was something I was happy to do if we were going to use the graph to analyze advertising trends, but we weren’t.  He was giving me the graph task so that I wouldn’t be sitting at the desk waiting for the phone to ring.  I started making up interesting and productive tasks for myself just to keep this kind of nonsense from happening.  The educational equivalent of this has to be doing something just to get a grade for it.  Students want to know that the task is valuable to someone other than the teacher.  If there is a way to provide a real audience (parents coming in to hear a speech, other students or staff members to ask questions about the project you did, or bringing in a community member that works in the subject area of the task), please make a way to do it.  
  5. Social Interaction - The adolescent brain is developmentally social (See Inventing Ourselves by Sarah-Jayne Blakemore).  They will learn more if they can tell someone else what they know.  This can be as simple as think-pair-share.  It can be as complex as finding an expert to present their findings to.  At least once per task, your students should be explaining their thinking to SOMEONE.
  6. Choice - I do not mean completely free choice because that is dangerous and not educationally sound, but where you can work in limited choice, you will get more engagement and better work.  Create a menu of ways students can choose from to show their work.  (You can write a song, record a podcast, or draw illustrations showing the trig identities.)  You could give them list of topics to do a project on.  (You can learn about electrochemistry equally well by studying batteries, electroplating, or electric eels, so let them choose which one they want to learn about.)
  7. Novelty - The human brain craves familiarity, which is why we watch TV re-runs and listen to old songs, but it also craves novelty, which is why seek out new restaurants.  Sometimes, when we find something good, we use it too much.  (When GRACE teachers discovered Kahoot, kids got sick of reviewing for every test in every class with it.) Just because something is good doesn’t mean you want to do it 180 days in a row.
  8. Authentic - Authentic doesn’t have to mean that it is actually happening.  (This was good to hear because I have had trouble trying to connect everything to actual situations and feeling guilty about it.)  It doesn’t mean real-world.  In fact, you may not want it to be.  If you have a student whose home life is that of an alcoholic parent who has to get their siblings ready for school, you don’t want to ask them to write about something fun they do with their parents.  It means it COULD happen.  John Almarode's example involved an elementary ecology project.  The teacher had given students the assignment to create an imaginary creature and then figure out what habitat it would have to have. (Now, I do have to say I think that might be a fun creative writing or art assignment because of the imagination it involves, but it wouldn’t be a great ecology project the student isn’t learning about real ecology.)  Instead, give them a project in which they are zookeepers who have to choose an exotic animal and design a zoo habitat that will keep that animal alive in the climate where you live.  That’s authentic without being real-world.  

If you are thinking that there is no way you could have all 8 of these every day, take a deep breath.  You are right.  You can’t.  The point isn’t to get them all every day.  The point is to work in as many as you can where you can.  What the walkthrough data revealed is that having at least three of these will result in 87% sustained engagement (and the first two should already be a normal part of your practice).  Having only 2 of them resulted in (are you ready for this) only 17% engagement.  Isn’t that crazy?  Just the difference in one of these items makes that big of a difference.  By the way, having only one of them results in zero engagement.  

This seems overwhelming, but if you have created a positive classroom climate, you should already have #2, and if you are a teacher who cares enough about your practice to read educational blogs, you probably already communicate clear expectations, so #1 is a given.  Working in one or two more of these should be the first thing you do when designing new projects.

As I sat in this session, I tried to think of the topics I have the hardest time making engaging.  As much as I love the periodic table, it isn’t the easiest thing to get 8th-graders to love.  There aren’t a ton of hands-on ways to teach it.  At the end the session, I thought, “Well, I’ve identified a problem, but I still don’t have a solution.”  During the next morning’s keynote, it suddenly clicked. I think I got it.  I can put in novelty and social interaction by having the kids be elements and move (oh, yeah, in another session with Marcia Tate, we were encouraged to have students move) according to properties.  Something along the lines giving each child an element to be and making the room the periodic table.  Determine if you are a metal or non-metal and move to the part of the room where you should be.  Raise your hand if you have low electronegativity.  Who has the highest electronegativity (one of them will have to be fluorine)?  Who has 8 valence electrons?  I’m still working this out in my mind, but I think it could be a great way to make some of what I am doing more personal (and Marcia Tate also encourages role-playing as a technique).  If I put the elements in a google doc and let them each choose the one they want to be (but remove it from the list because we can’t have two of the same element), then they will also have choice.

As John had us do at the conference, turn to your neighbor and say, “We can totally do this.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Knew I Loved Kickboxing? A Tribute to Matt and His Class

I joined the YMCA on March 1, 2023.  I tried a number of different types of classes.  I liked indoor cycling, but yoga wasn't for me.  I...