Sunday, April 24, 2022

The Power of Habit

As a teacher, my life is made up of routines.  They get interrupted a lot by pep rallies, senior events, class photos, and the like; but every morning, I come in and get the day ready, make a list, and have a class schedule to follow.  At the beginning of each class, I take attendance, run through what we will do for the period, read a scripture, and pray before getting the class going.  Every Monday afternoon, I have a faculty meeting.  Every Tuesday and Friday morning, I have teacher devotions.  Every day, I let early kids in through the door by my room.  My professional life is filled with habitual behaviors.  Because of that, I used to have very few routines and habits in my personal life.

That was true . . . before lockdown.  

During the lockdown, I applied everything I knew about keeping my brain healthy to my day.  Having a consistent schedule was going to matter more than ever.  Keeping the chaos out of my environment was going to be important.  So, I made a few changes in my life.  While many things got dropped as soon as the case numbers fell, there are some that I have continued to do simply out of habit.

I make the bed every day.  That was not normal for me.  Prior to the spring of 2020, my attitude was that a bed that was good enough to get out of was good enough to get back into, and therefore, did not need to be made.  However, knowing I was going to be home 23 hours out of every day and that I was going to have to pass by my bedroom door every time I went to the bathroom, I knew I wouldn't want it to look chaotic, so I started making the bed just as soon as I got up.  I still do.  As soon as I get out of bed, I turn around and make the bed.  About an hour before going to sleep, I go turn it down.  The nighttime part of this routine makes going to bed nicer.  

I do laundry every Sunday.  Prior to the pandemic, I waited to do laundry until I absolutely had to.  I would wait until the choice was to do laundry or go to Walmart to buy underwear.  When we returned to school in masks, it became important to keep this habit so that I would have clean masks for work.  What I found during the pandemic was that doing such small loads made the task so much easier that I no longer dreaded it.  Putting it off had made it so miserable, and I didn't even know I could prevent that.  Even though I don't need to do it for masks anymore, I have continued to wash that week's laundry because I like how fast folding/hanging the clean laundry has become (and I don't lose as many socks because there are so few to match).

I have Tuesday pants.  This one makes me giggle every time I explain it.  When the lockdowns started, I saw people on Facebook talking about how much they were eating, how they only wore pajama pants, and how much weight they were likely to gain.  I don't own a scale, and I don't want to because I don't think it is psychologically healthy; but I needed a way to know what effect the lockdown was having.  To be fair, I wasn't eating junk food.  (If anything, I might have eaten more healthy than I would be on school days because I was at home preparing it.)  However, I was getting less movement during the day than I would have been if I had been walking around my classroom and down the hall to the teachers' lounge.  What I decided was to choose a pair of pants that I would wear one day every week.  If they got a little tight, I would take a few longer walks.  When we returned to school, I just kept doing it.  So, when you see me wearing red pants on a Tuesday, you will know that those are my Tuesday pants.

There are a few more, including walking to the post office when I have something to mail, watching an episode of Stephen Colbert while I eat dinner and a British game show at some point each day, and doing a crossword puzzle every morning.  I didn't make a decision to keep doing these things.  I was simply in the habit of doing them.  If there is a habit you want to adopt, you just have to start doing it.  Because we don't really embrace change, once you get it into your routine, you will keep doing it without having to make yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...