Sunday, May 1, 2022

Ode to the Last Place Runner

In my role as yearbook advisor, I photograph a lot of sports and many other kinds of events.  One of my favorite things to photograph is track and field.  Part of that is because people look interesting when jumping hurdles or doing the Fosberry Flop; part of it is that they make unintentionally hilarious faces when hurling a shot put or discus.  But what I find most inspirational is watching distance runners.  The endurance it takes to run lap after lap on a track is unreal, even for the person in first place; but I am the most impressed by the kid who is running behind the pack, far behind the pack, the kid who knows he is dead last and keeps running anyway.  The winners may win the ribbons and get the praise, but the last place runner builds character and grit that will transfer to other areas of his life as well.  He will be the one pushing down brick walls for the rest of his life because he has built those muscles through perseverance.  Here's my best effort at honoring you as you should be honored.

Ode the Last Place Runner
To the runner who knows you are last
Half a lap behind the rest 
I see you.

I see you continuing 
To put yourself through pain
Both physical and emotional
Just to finish.
Thank you.

To the student who is barely passing
Knowing you'll never receive an award
I see you. 

I see you continuing 
To ask questions and study hard
Coming to help classes
Just to make a D.
Thank you.

To the team who is up against your most difficult rival
Entering the game wondering whether you will even score
I see you.

I see you training and watching game tape
Listening to your coach and doing your best
To put your heart and soul on the field
Just to lose by a lot of points
Thank you.

To the actor who auditions for the lead
Always getting a role in the chorus.
I see you.

I see you learning your lines
And everyone else's, so you'll know your cue
Putting your all on the stage
Just to keep getting non-speaking parts.
Thank you.

You don't know it now,
But what you are doing matters.
It won't win you today's trophy,
But it will make you strong 
For the challenges of the future.

You don't know it now,
But you will tell the stories of your losses to your children.
When they suffer their own.
When they need you to understand,
You will.

Keep running.
Keep studying.
Keep playing your best on the field and the stage.
The people in the stands see you
And they are inspired by you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...