Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Nothing Comes From Nothing

Are you humming the song Maria and the Captain sing to each other in the gazebo?  Okay, we can be friends.  Read on.

I'm actually in a situation I haven't been in since starting this blog.  I don't know what to write.  I have a few topic ideas saved in a draft folder, but none of them are striking my fancy this week, and I don't have any ideas specific to this week.  As someone who is rarely at a loss for words or opinions, I have to ask myself how this can be.  It's lack of mental stimulation.

I've been on break for over a week now.  The first five days, I was sick.  It was just a cold, but I felt lousy enough to do nothing but sit in a recliner and watch TV all day.  Then, it was Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, eating and watching movies (By the way, if you want to take a person who isn't into sci-fi to a sort of sci-fi movie this season, Passengers was quite good.   It was kind of Castaway meets Gravity plus a relationship story.)   Anyway, back to the issue.  I have not had a lot of mental stimulation that would inspire depth of thought.

Apparently, that realization was just enough to fire a few brain cells because I just had this thought.  If we don't provide our students with mental stimulation, they might not experience much depth of thought either.  We need to intentionally fill our lesson plans with interaction, whether that is asking students questions during a lecture or assigning complex projects.  If we want them to think beyond "the right answer," it is up to us to create an environment that goes beyond that as well.

See you in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...