Tuesday, December 20, 2016

What You Deserve

Have you ever spent a significant amount of time watching daytime television?  I obviously don't during school time, but during summer and Christmas break, I "get" to see court shows, talk shows, and 90's comedy re-runs.

What I find interesting is less about the shows than the commercials.  Whether you are watching Judge Alex or Dr. Phil or Grace Under Fire, the ads are the same.  I assume they are aimed at people who are home during the day, and it seems that (in the advertisers' minds at least) these people must believe they are owed something.  Commercials for law firms encourage you to be the victim of something in order to "get the settlement you deserve."  Ads for vision centers tell you to see them in order to "get the contacts you deserve."  I even saw one for Just Tires that said to "get the tires you deserve."  It doesn't explain exactly what I have done to earn the good tires; I guess I'm supposed to know that already.

During one sick day, I would estimate I heard that I inexplicably deserved something three dozen times.  Then, we wonder why our culture suffers from an entitlement problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change, Loss, and Why Your Brain Hates It

According to recent surveys, the most common sources of stress include divorce, the death of a loved one, job loss, marriage, retirement, ha...